What You Can, And Cannot Bring With You to a Drug Rehab Center
Many questions surround what is and what is not allowed at a drug rehab center. While the rules differ slightly from one facility to the next, generally there are some items that are most always allowed at the treatment center and some items that are always prohibited from being brought into a drug rehab center. If you or someone you love is going to be entering treatment at a drug rehab center, consider asking the facility about their policies prior to entering treatment. If for some reason you are unclear about what to expect, consider the following list of items that you can bring with you and also the list of items that will most likely not be allowed.
Items You Can Bring to a Drug Rehab Center
- Personal Insurance, ID and Contact Information: This may include a telephone number of whom to contact in an emergency, the telephone number of your primary care provider or doctor and the telephone number of your attorney. You can also bring with you your state identification card and insurance cards.
- Clothing: You will be allowed to bring clothing with you into drug rehab but it cannot be vulgar, provocative or have any signs of drug or alcohol on it. For instance, you will not be allowed to wear a Budweiser shirt in drug rehab but you can wear a plain t-shirt. Make sure that the clothing you bring with you to drug rehab is comfortable.
- Prescription Medications: Although most drug rehab centers will not allow you to have control of your prescription medications you will be permitted to bring the medications with you and you are actually recommended to bring the prescriptions with you so that they can be checked in by the doctor. During drug rehab the medications will be provided to you as prescribed by a doctor.
- Some Personal Care Items: Not all personal care items will be allowed in drug rehab centers because many of the items that we use on a daily basis have the potential for being used as a substance. For instance, mouthwash and some toothpaste will not be permitted because of its high alcohol content. Certain items such as shampoo, conditioner, soaps and other toiletries will be permitted in the drug rehab center as are feminine care products, deodorant, hair brushes and toothbrushes.
Items You Can’t Bring to a Drug Rehab Center
- Cell Phones: Most drug rehab centers do not allow you to bring your cellphone into treatment. This is because by having a cell phone you are still connected with the outside world and your contacts which could include others who use drugs or alcohol. Having contact with friends or family members who contribute to your addiction will only hinder your recovery.
- CD Players and Video Games: During drug rehab you will learn a variety of mechanisms to stay on track and focused on your recovery. CD players and video games are prohibited from drug rehab centers because they are not a productive way of spending your time. Drug rehab centers and the programs that are provided at these centers aim to help you learn how to spend your time positively and effectively evoking spiritual and emotional growth.
- Food or Drinks: Because so many drugs and or alcohol can be placed into a food or beverage, such items are prohibited from being brought into drug rehab centers. Inpatient drug rehab centers will provide you with all of the nutritional food and beverages that you need during the recovery process. Additionally, the food and drinks that are served at these facilities are based on a healthy diet that will help you to detox from drugs and alcohol.